5’: Free Kick for Messi
It’s from 40 yards plus, however nonetheless. Free kick for Messi! He ships it into the field the place it rolls free, worryingly for Iceland, however is finally cleared.
three’: Caballero Starts for Argentina (Not for Chelsea)
Between the sticks for Argentina is Willy Caballero, who sits on the bench for Chelsea. But right here he’s beginning for a World Cup contender. (Chelsea’s starter, Thibaut Courtois, is the starter for Belgium right here.)
1’: Kickoff in Moscow!
Argentina is in black and Iceland in white. A primary ever World Cup for tiny Iceland. And is that this the beginning of (lastly) Messi’s World Cup? Or will or not it’s one other disappointment?
Argentina vs. Iceland Top Story Lines
• Iceland Lineup
6 R Sigurdsson
7 Berg Gudmundsson
10 G Sigurdsson
11 Di María
• Heimir Hallgrimsson is a laid-back chief and sometime dentist who sees success for Iceland’s nationwide workforce as a seamless journey unconnected to its 2018 World Cup end.
• The best participant on the earth (sorry, Ronaldo followers) is Lionel Messi. But the naysayers who love Pele and Maradona nonetheless wish to level out that he wants a World Cup to assert G.O.A.T. standing. He is 30 years outdated now, and this can be his final probability to play within the large occasion in his prime.
• Messi has loads of gifted firm, together with Sergio Aguero, the Manchester City striker who loves to attain, Paulo Dybala and Angel di Maria. So the expertise to carry the Cup is there, however can it mesh collectively? Argentina positioned solely third in South American qualifying, with a 7-Four-7 report.
• Iceland, inhabitants 350,000, is the smallest nation ever to qualify for the World Cup. But it proved within the European Championship two years in the past that it may play with the highest sides, defeating England within the spherical of 16. The outcome was hardly a fluke, as Iceland adopted it by ending forward of Croatia, Ukraine and Turkey in its World Cup qualifying group.
• European groups have taken discover of Iceland’s abilities and its gamers have taken up residence at prime golf equipment in England, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Turkey and Russia.
• In a press release that will come again to hang-out him, midfielder Johann Berg Gudmundsson of Iceland said, “We kept Ronaldo quite quiet, so hopefully we can do the same against Messi.”