The Old Guard and the New
England (1966) and France (1998) are the one previous World Cup champions remaining within the event.
England vs. Sweden: The Game Within the Game
England is the 2-1 favourite for the sport. But why guess on the winner when there’s a lot different motion out there? The over/beneath for the sport is 2 targets. Want to guess a football-style level unfold? England is a half-goal favourite (with betting on the primary 90 minutes solely). You can guess on the primary aim scorer: Harry Kane is the Three-1 favourite, adopted by Rashford and Sterling and solely then the Swedes, led by Berg at 12-1. (Betting on sports activities just isn’t authorized in all jurisdictions. Please seek the advice of your native statutes earlier than inserting a guess.)
Sweden’s ‘Secret’ Isn’t One
Sweden Manager Janne Andersson mentioned Friday that his staff is an open e book.
“I think there was a coach who once said about their team that ‘they’re quite easy to analyze but quite difficult to beat,’” Andersson instructed reporters in Samara. “I think that’s a right description for us.”
“It shouldn’t be that difficult to get an idea of what we do,” he added. “The surprise is probably that we’re terribly consistent.”
Southgate’s Fashion Trend
Have you seen Southgate’s sideline gear? He wears a vest (or waistcoat) and not using a jacket. And individuals are taking discover of Southgate’s fashion: Stores in England have reported a run on waistcoats (as reported in each single British newspaper). The future recognition of the waistcoat might be decided by 22 males on the sector immediately. Should Sweden remove England, the temporary waistcoat vogue could also be swiftly forgotten.
England’s Starting Lineup
England is unchanged from the staff that beat Colombia in further time within the spherical of 16. There had been delicate damage issues over Dele Alli and Ashley Young, however each are apparently OK and listed on the staff sheet.
Goalkeepers: 1 Jordan Pickford (Everton)
Defenders: 6 Harry Maguire (Leicester), 5 John Stones (Manchester City), 12 Kieran Trippier (Tottenham), 2 Kyle Walker (Manchester City), 18 Ashley Young (Manchester United)
Midfielders: 20 Dele Alli (Tottenham), eight Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), 7 Jesse Lingard (Manchester United)
Forwards: 9 Harry Kane (Tottenham), 10 Raheem Sterling (Manchester City)
Sweden’s Starting Lineup
Goalkeeper: 1 Robin Olsen (Copenhagen)
Defenders: Three Victor Lindelof (Manchester United), four Andreas Granqvist (Krasnador), 6 Ludwig Augustinsson (Werder Bremen), 16 Emil Krafth (Bologna)
Midfielders: 7 Sebastian Larsson (Hull), eight Albin Ekdal (Hamburg), 10 Emil Forsberg (RB Leipzig), 17 Viktor Claesson (Krasnador)
Forwards: 9 Marcus Berg (Al Ain), 20 Ola Toivonen (Toulouse)
Play It Safe
Six gamers danger lacking a possible semifinal in the event that they choose up a yellow card immediately. Four are from England — Jordan Henderson, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Jesse Lingard, Kyle Walker — and two are from Sweden: Viktor Claesson and Albin Ekdal. FIFA wipes out yellows after the quarterfinals, guaranteeing high gamers now not miss the ultimate for getting a second yellow within the semifinals, however ones from immediately nonetheless depend. (A crimson nonetheless leads to a ban, irrespective of when it comes.)
Own Goal Leads the Tournament
Harry Kane nonetheless leads the official race for the Golden Boot, given to the event’s high scorer, with six targets. But he trails the unofficial scoring race to the surprisingly prolific Own Goal, which ran its tally to a document 11 when Fernandinho put one into his personal web towards Belgium on Friday.
Good News, Bad News for Sweden
Bad information: Sweden loses defender Mikael Lustig due to a yellow-card suspension. Good information: It will get midfielder Sebastian Larsson again from suspension.
England vs. Sweden Top Story Lines
• Sweden and England have met recurrently through the years. Their most up-to-date aggressive recreation got here within the 2012 Europrean Championship. England received, Three-2. One participant from that staff, Danny Welbeck, remains to be within the squad; he had the sport successful aim that day. Andreas Granqvist, Mikael Lustig and Martin Olsson all performed for Sweden.
• England coughed up a lead late in its knockout recreation with Colombia, however rallied in a penalty kick shootout, traditionally the staff’s bête noire.
• England hasn’t made it to the semifinals of the World Cup since 1990; that is its third quarterfinal since then. This is Sweden’s first journey to the quarterfinals for the reason that 1994 Cup within the United States, the place it positioned third.
• Harry Kane leads the chase for the World Cup Golden Boot. He at present leads all scorers with six targets; three of them had been penalties.
• Sweden surprisingly received a troublesome group that included Germany, Mexico and South Korea, then upended Switzerland, 1-Zero. Its high scorer is its penalty taker, Andreas Granqvist.
• England has 9 targets, tied for second behind Belgium. Sweden has surrendered simply two targets, tied for second behind Brazil.