We proceed ……
10’: Germany Attacking
Sweden is retaining all 10 subject gamers behind the ball at virtually all instances. They’re actually feeling the German strain, and appear decided to simply hunker down and battle them off.
At least for the second.
eight’: Chances at Both Ends
Sweden has probed the German finish simply as soon as, however a collapsing protection smothered the possibility earlier than it turned something. At the opposite finish, Draxler turns the nook on the left and skims a cross via the purpose mouth however nobody is there to redirect it and it sails via to security.
Now Reus does the identical on the suitable, however his cutback hits a defender as a substitute of Werner.
2’: Early Chances for Germany
Good work from Timo Werner on the finish line offers Germany two bites on the apple, however Sweden blocks each, then the rebound goes out large.
Cycling it again in, Germany will get two extra (barely deeper) pictures. Both are blocked, too.
Hard to Believe: Germany Could Be Out After This One
One final time because it appears so unusual to kind it: Germany might be out of the World Cup if it loses to Sweden tonight. Enjoy the sport.
Don’t Sleep on Sweden
Sweden isn’t a type of attractive groups everybody at all times seems to be at as a World Cup darkish horse. But they’re a strong group, and so they’re tight and disciplined. And keep in mind: they knocked out one other large model, Italy, to seal their place in Russia. Coming off a win over South Korea of their opener, they certainly see tonight as an opportunity to announce themselves.
What’s at Stake
Mexico’s victory over South Korea positions them to advance via to the knockout spherical tonight for the seventh straight World Cup, nevertheless it additionally makes the stakes very clear right here: a Germany loss to Sweden and the Germans, the defending World Cup champions, are OUT after solely two video games in Russia.
A win or draw extends their life to the ultimate group recreation, however listed below are the present group standings:
Mexico 6 factors; +2 purpose distinction
Sweden three factors; + 1 purpose distinction
Germany zero factors; -1 purpose distinction
South Korea zero factors; -2 purpose distinction
And right here’s Sweden’s XI tonight:
Robin Olsen; Mikael Lustig, Victor Lindelof, Andreas Granqvist, Ludwig Augustinsson; Sebastian Larsson, Albin Ekdal, Victor Claesson, Emil Forsberg, Ola Toivonen, Marcus Berg
The lineups are out and Germany has made FOUR modifications from the opener. Özil, Khedira dropped in midfielder, Cheslea’s Antonio Rudiger in for the injured Mats Hummels at middle again.
Manuel Neuer; Joshua Kimmich, Jerome Boateng, Antonio Ruediger, Jonas Hector; Sebastian Rudy, Toni Kroos; Julian Draxler, Marco Reus, Thomas Muller; Timo Werner. That’s a supervisor who is aware of the stakes and wasn’t pleased with the performances on Sunday.
Germany vs. Sweden Top Story Lines
• Germany, the defending World Cup champion, sits at the bottom of Group F after dropping its opener in opposition to Mexico, 1-0. The Germans appeared postpone by the Mexicans’ tempo and directness, however they hit the bar with a shot within the second half and almost grabbed some extent.
• Still, one mixture of outcomes on Saturday — a Mexico win over South Korea and a Germany loss to Sweden — would put the Germany out of the event by bedtime.
• Germany Coach Joachim Löw assured after the loss to Mexico that may not occur. Told that three current World Cup champions — France in 1998, Italy in 2010 and Spain in 2014 — had celebrating their titles by crashing out within the group stage of the subsequent World Cup, Löw feigned ignorance and confidence on the similar time. “I have no idea why that might be the case,” he stated. “But we will qualify for the next round.”
• Sweden famously certified for the World Cup by eliminating Italy in a UEFA playoff after ending second in its group behind France. The Swedes might be robust defensively: they surrendered solely 9 objectives in 10 qualifiers, and none of their two-leg playoff in opposition to Italy.
• Germany could also be with out middle again Mats Hummels on Saturday — he has a neck damage, the group stated — however Sweden might have larger issues: a stomach bug is sweeping via their camp.
Some Pregame Reading
Rory Smith of the Times wrote that Germany’s greatest drawback was that it has grow to be entirely predictable.
That stated, Löw says he isn’t altering something. “We will not just break apart now and become headless and do something completely different,” he said this week. “There is no need to break out in panic just because we have lost a match.”