(Want to get this briefing by e mail? Here’s the sign-up.)
Here’s what you should know:
U.S.-China commerce combat widens
• Washington is transferring forward with plans to impose 25 p.c tariffs on $50 billion of Chinese merchandise, threatening to escalate what had primarily been a confrontation between the world’s two largest economies right into a full-blown commerce struggle.
In an announcement this morning, President Trump stated the U.S. would place the tariffs on goods that contain “industrially significant technologies,” together with ones central to the Made in China 2025 plan to make the nation dominate high-tech industries.
Beijing had warned that it may impose its personal tariffs on $50 billion in American exports, a listing more likely to embrace agricultural merchandise and manufactured items.
• In an indication of continued escalation, Washington stated at this time it could search further tariffs if China retaliates.
A blended evaluate of the F.B.I.’s actions
• A report on Thursday by the Justice Department’s inspector common found the former F.B.I. director James Comey “insubordinate” for publicly discussing an investigation into Hillary Clinton’s use of a non-public e mail server throughout the 2016 presidential marketing campaign.
But the 500-page doc uncovered no proof that political views on the bureau had influenced the result of the Clinton investigation, as President Trump has claimed. Our experts broke down the report.
It offered further proof that some senior F.B.I. officers had bashed Mr. Trump in textual content messages, and will help the president undermine the credibility of Mr. Comey, a attainable witness within the particular counsel’s investigation into Russian interference within the election.
• The report additionally revealed that Mr. Comey sometimes used a private email account to conduct F.B.I. enterprise whereas supervising the Clinton investigation.
Trump Foundation within the cross hairs
• The New York State legal professional common accused the charity and the Trump family in a lawsuit on Thursday of self-dealing, violating marketing campaign finance legal guidelines and illegally coordinating with the Trump marketing campaign. The president stated it was an assault by “sleazy New York Democrats.”
The lawsuit seeks to dissolve the muse and bar President Trump and his youngsters from nonprofit boards. Attorney General Barbara Underwood additionally referred her findings to the Internal Revenue Service for additional investigation — which may pose even more problems for the president.
• Mr. Trump can also be below hearth for saluting a North Korean general, an indication of respect for a navy that has dedicated human rights abuses. The White House press secretary referred to as the salute “a common courtesy.”
Inside a shelter for 1,500 little one migrants
• “We cannot put any more kids here.”
That was Alexia Rodriguez, an govt at Southwest Key, which operates a Texas warehouse that has grow to be the largest licensed shelter for migrant children in the country.
The crunch on the shelter, a former Walmart Supercenter, highlights how federal authorities are scrambling to adjust to President Trump’s order to finish “catch and release” detentions of those that cross the southern border illegally. Many migrants are youngsters fleeing gang violence and different troubles in Central America.
• And in Washington, lawmakers are considering a draft bill that will impose new limits on authorized immigration however would additionally give some younger undocumented immigrants the possibility to grow to be residents.
Quiet battle for pregnant ladies
• Fired. Passed over for promotion. Belittled on the buying and selling flooring.
American corporations have spent years rolling out packages aimed toward retaining moms, however many large corporations still systematically sideline women who are pregnant. Don’t miss our investigation into what one professional calls “the maternal wall.”
• One research discovered that every little one chops four p.c off a girl’s hourly wages, whereas males’s earnings, after controlling for different elements, enhance by 6 p.c once they grow to be fathers.
The drone warrior’s wounds
• Targeted killings by drones have grow to be the centerpiece of U.S. counterterrorism coverage, pushed by the concept that terrorism will be eradicated with the push of a button by “joystick warriors.”
But many pilots of drones expertise grief, regret, unhappiness and different varieties of fight trauma, even when they combat from afar. The Times Magazine explores whether the injuries are moral.
• If you’re a veteran who has skilled ethical damage, we’d like to listen to from you. Please fill out the shape contained in the article.
• Recipe of the day: Lemon sweet rolls are an ideal weekend venture.
• “I want more time with Amy”
The husband of a girl who wrote a vastly fashionable Modern Love essay referred to as “You May Want to Marry My Husband” simply earlier than she died from ovarian most cancers has now written his own.
• In memoriam
Dorothy Cotton, the one lady within the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s internal circle of aides, was a driving power in getting Southern black folks to vote. She was 88.
• The week in excellent news
Deteriorating imaginative and prescient led to a painter’s stylistic shift, and other stories that inspired us.
• Sorry, no information quiz
It will return subsequent week.
• Another facet of Einstein
A compilation of Albert Einstein’s journey diaries, saved throughout his visits to Asia and the Middle East within the 1920s, exposes some unpleasant stereotyping.
• Ready for the weekend
• Best of late-night TV
Stephen Colbert took a break from jokes to make a plea on behalf of migrant families: “This is the conversation everybody should be having.”
• Quotation of the day
“Some coaches play golf, shoot reindeer, whatever — everybody has something. But I really enjoy going back home to my clients.”
— Heimir Hallgrimsson, the coach of Iceland’s nationwide soccer group, who additionally runs a dental observe.
• The Times, in different phrases
• What we’re studying
Annie Correal, a metro reporter, recommends a parody in McSweeney’s: “The poet Juliana Gray satirizes the online community of ‘involuntary celibates,’ or ‘incels,’ using one of T.S. Eliot’s best-known poems. Published around a century ago, it featured a lonely, self-doubting guy named J. Alfred Prufrock. His incel incarnation invites us to accompany him ‘through certain half-considered tweets,’ and he measures his life not in coffee spoons, but Reddit posts.”
“Man, woman or child, Ella is the greatest,” Bing Crosby as soon as stated.
Ella Fitzgerald, who died on this day in 1996 at 79, started her journey to stardom by successful a expertise contest as a young person.
She had planned to dance, however stage fright made her determine to sing as a substitute.
The “First Lady of Song” spent greater than 60 years within the limelight, working with extra musical legends than we are able to depend. She received 13 Grammy Awards and obtained a National Medal of Arts.
With a spread of almost three octaves, she relished huge band, jazz, bebop, scat and swing. She is probably greatest recognized for her Song Books of the ’50s and ’60s: eight albums, every devoted to the likes of Duke Ellington, Cole Porter and Rodgers & Hart.
But her younger life was full of hardship.
Her mom died when Ella was 15. She ran away from an abusive stepfather and had a spell in a reformatory the place beatings have been widespread. She was dwelling hand-to-mouth in 1934 when she received that essential competitors.
As she obtained an honorary doctorate at Yale, she stated: “Not bad for someone who only studied music to get that half-credit in high school.”
Anna Schaverien wrote at this time’s Back Story.
Check out our full vary of free newsletters here.
What would you wish to see right here? Contact us at [email protected].