14 Mendelssohn 7-1
15 Instilled Regard 93-1
16 Magnum Moon 13-1
17 Solomini 66-1
18 Vino Rosso 14-1
19 Noble Indy 59-1
20 Combatant 73-1
Monomoy Girl Wins Kentucky Oaks. A Sign of Things to Come?
Monomoy Girl, skilled by Bradley Cox, who grew up a couple of blocks from Churchill Downs, and ridden by Florent Geroux, dug in to win the $1 million Kentucky Oaks by a half-length on Saturday at Churchill Downs for Momomoy Stables.
Monomoy is run by the hedge fund government Sol Kumin and is a co-owner of the Derby entrant My Boy Jack. Kumin has a number of profitable partnerships, nevertheless, together with Head of Plains Partners, a co-owner of the popular Derby picks Justify and Audible.
Winning the Derby is at all times excessive on horse house owners’ bucket lists, however Kumin mentioned this week that, for him, successful the Oaks was greater. After the race, he didn’t change his thoughts.
“This feels about as good as it gets,” he mentioned. “This is Kentucky Oaks Day, the biggest race. Winning it with all your friends, with a trainer you love, with a jockey you love, with a person picking out the horse that you love.”
Here Are the Top Story Lines for the Kentucky Derby
• Todd Pletcher has 4 Derby entrants — Audible, Magnum Moon, Vino Rosso and Noble Indy — the sixth time he has had 4 or extra operating in a single Derby. When the gate opens, he’ll overtake D. Wayne Lukas, with whom he was tied at 48 for probably the most Derby starters.
• Some horses with a built-in rooting curiosity embrace Lone Sailor, who’s owned by Gayle Benson, the spouse of the New Orleans Saints proprietor Tom Benson, who died on March 15, and Vino Rosso, who’s co-owned by Vincent Viola, the proprietor of the N.H.L.’s Florida Panthers and final yr’s Derby winner Always Dreaming.
• The report for quickest run on the Kentucky Derby is 1 minute, 59 2/5 seconds by Secretariat in 1973, a time that received’t seemingly be beat right this moment.
• Magnum Moon is undefeated in 4 begins in 2018 and Justify, the morning-line favorite who’s skilled by the Triple Crown-winning Bob Baffert, is undefeated in three begins this yr. But no horse has received the Derby after not beginning as a 2-year-old since Apollo in 1882.
• Mendelssohn received the U.A.E. Derby, his first race on dust, by 18 half lengths, setting a observe report at Meydan Racecourse in Dubai. He is a well-liked decide to grow to be the primary U.A.E. Derby winner to scent the roses.
A Sloppy Track
A light-weight drizzle became a gentle rain by the afternoon hours at Churchill Downs, the place it’s about 65 levels. After the sixth race, the principle observe was sealed, or packed, to permit water to run off and the situation was modified to muddy.
The regular rain progressed right into a downpour, and the observe has been downgraded to sloppy.
The Derby entrants to have received on a moist dust observe embrace Firenze Fire, Flameaway (twice), Justify, Lone Sailor, My Boy Jack and Enticed. By midafternoon, My Boy Jack, who was 30-1 on the morning line, was at 5-1. Surely a few of that has to do together with his identify. But his report on a moist observe and his capacity to return from again within the pack to win has seemingly has some bettors enthused.