(Want to get this briefing by e-mail? Here’s the sign-up.)
Good morning. A date for Trump and Kim, Malaysia’s historic election and a Philippine ladies’s rights pioneer. Here’s what you want to know:
• U.S.-North Korea talks are on.
Singapore, June 12: President Trump made the announcement after three Americans launched by North Korea arrived again within the U.S.
We’ll “try to make it a very special moment for World Peace!” Mr. Trump tweeted in his announcement that he’ll meet with Kim Jong-un.
Above, Mr. Trump personally welcomed the freed men at a Washington-area air base in the course of the night time.
Mr. Trump was requested this week if he thought he deserved the Nobel Peace Prize. “Everyone thinks so, but I would never say it,” he mentioned with fun.
• Mahathir Mohamad, 92, was sworn in as Malaysia’s prime minister, ousting a coalition he as soon as led and that ran the nation for many years.
But the ceremony got here solely after an extended day of uncertainty over whether or not the king would in actual fact put him in workplace. He lastly did, formalizing Malaysia’s first switch of energy to the opposition because it gained independence from Britain in 1957.
We look at the main players and the towering listing of corruption accusations in opposition to Mr. Mahathir’s predecessor, Najib Razak, and what is going to occur subsequent.
• A jail riot in Indonesia has set off a brand new spherical of scrutiny in regards to the problems plaguing the country’s corrections system.
Followers of the Islamic State killed 5 guards at a compound guarded by elite counterterrorism officers within the metropolis of Depok. Above, a gaggle of law enforcement officials patrolling the streets there.
Reports earlier than the rebellion had warned that the detention middle was “a disaster waiting to happen” due to overcrowding and insufficient staffing.
• China’s intensifying efforts to tame dangerous ranges of company debt are rising extra evident.
Wu Xiaohui, the founder of the Anbang insurance giant, was sentenced Thursday to 18 years in jail for fraud and dishonest buyers. It was a strong warning to different main conglomerates of the hazards of heavy borrowing to purchase high-profile trophy belongings, as Anbang did with properties just like the Waldorf Astoria resort in New York.
And Beijing’s clampdown on shadow banking has dried up easy money. Over the previous 4 days alone, three non-public corporations have defaulted.
• Patriot, feminist, farmer, diplomat.
Our Overlooked series remembers the lifetime of Leticia Ramos Shahani, a Philippine ladies’s rights pioneer who grew to become one of many highest-ranking feminine officers within the United Nations. She died on March 20, 2017, at age 87.
She made labor and rape legal guidelines fairer to ladies and built-in gender into all types of policymaking, and remained vocal on public affairs to the top of her life. Above, Ms. Shahani in 1997 along with her brother Fidel Ramos, who was president on the time.
• Alexa, Siri and Google’s assistant can hear secret audio commands which might be undetectable to the human ear, researchers in China and the U.S. have demonstrated. In the unsuitable arms, they warn, the aptitude may very well be used to command sensible gadgets to unlock doorways, wire cash or make on-line purchases — merely with music taking part in over the radio.
• Hong Kong’s financial system continues to defy gravity, however this can be nearly as good because it will get earlier than U.S. coverage modifications.
• Local officers in Sichuan have designated Saturday, the 10th anniversary of a devastating earthquake that killed at the very least 69,000 folks, as “Thanksgiving Day.” The intention was to focus commemorations on reconstruction, however the in style response has been harsh. [The New York Times]
• Israeli strikes destroyed “nearly all” of Iran’s navy infrastructure in Syria, the Israeli overseas minister mentioned. The operation, which answered rocket fireplace on the Golan Heights, got here days after the U.S. withdrawal from the nuclear cope with Iran. [The New York Times]
• A dam burst in Kenya, killing dozens of individuals and destroying villages after weeks of heavy rain. [The New York Times]
• Indian ladies dismissed politicians’ guarantees to supply them with free sanitary pads as an election gimmick. But the provide — not the primary — alerts India’s shift towards grappling with long-ignored challenges round menstruation. [Reuters]
• China’s millennials are pushing again in opposition to “996” — working from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., six days per week. [BBC]
Tips, each new and outdated, for a extra fulfilling life.
• The rerelease of Stanley Kubrick’s “2001: A Space Odyssey” prompted our science reporter to replicate on our altering notion of area and the place we come from. “One mark of the movie’s status as a masterpiece is that it has something different to say to us every time we encounter it anew,” he writes.
• A Japanese pop star made her technique to Harlem, and a gospel singer was born.
Harriet Quimby, the primary American girl to become a licensed pilot, was born on at the present time in 1875 on a Michigan farm.
She was additionally the primary girl to fly an airplane throughout the English Channel, in 1912. (The French aviator Louis Blériot was the primary man to accomplish that feat, three years earlier.)
Quimby acquired her pilot’s license — the second girl anyplace to take action — when she was 36, in August 1911. The subsequent month she flew by moonlight on the Staten Island Fair, circling the fairgrounds four times. “It was a great temptation not to keep right on flying until I got to New York,” she informed reporters afterward.
Before turning into a pilot, Quimby was a writer, critic and photographer for Leslie’s Illustrated Weekly. She grew to become inquisitive about aviation after engaged on the journal’s problem dedicated to the subject; she later attended the worldwide air meet at New York’s Belmont Park and started classes.
Less than a 12 months after incomes her license, Quimby was killed during an air show in Massachusetts.
Before the deadly flight, Quimby had mentioned the potential of a water touchdown, saying with a smile: “But I am a cat and I do not like cold water.”
Claire Moses wrote immediately’s Back Story.
Your Morning Briefing is printed weekday mornings and up to date on-line. Sign up here to get it by e-mail within the Australian, Asian, European or American morning. You can even obtain an Evening Briefing on U.S. weeknights.