Narrowing the trail to asylum
• Attorney General Jeff Sessions has successfully closed the door to a big group of asylum seekers, ruling that home and gang violence have been not grounds for being granted permanent entry to the U.S.
Mr. Sessions’s argument — that asylum shouldn’t apply to victims of “private violence” — will notably have an effect on migrants from Central America. It drew condemnation from immigrants’ rights teams, and Senator Richard Durbin, Democrat of Illinois, called it “monstrous.”
• Separately, a federal decide sharply criticized the Justice Department’s argument that President Trump’s monetary curiosity in his firm’s Washington resort is constitutional.
Who will get to vote, or run, for workplace?
• The Supreme Court on Monday upheld Ohio’s aggressive efforts to purge its voting rolls.
The choice was a victory for Republicans, who argue that such restrictions assist to battle voter fraud. But Democrats say that kicking individuals off the rolls suppresses voting by Democratic constituencies, notably minorities.
Five states are holding primaries at the moment: Maine, Nevada, North Dakota, South Carolina and Virginia. Here’s what to watch for.
• Female Democrats are within the operating for governor at the moment. But, like lots of their counterparts in different states, they face male opponents with deep coffers and establishment support.
A harsh highlight on New York City
• Federal prosecutors have accused town’s housing authority, generally known as Nycha, of systematic misconduct, indifference and outright lies, together with presenting false experiences about compliance with lead-paint laws.
Mayor Bill de Blasio mentioned that Nycha, which homes greater than 400,000 poor and working-class residents, selected to settle somewhat than face trial. Either manner, it’s a low second for a public housing authority that was as soon as seen as a uncommon nationwide success.
• Experts additionally marvel if a plan to vastly improve efficiency and reliability on the New York City subway is overly optimistic.
The dangers of laser eye surgical procedure
• Roughly 9.5 million Americans have had Lasik surgical procedure because the Food and Drug Administration permitted the method within the 1990s. Many ophthalmologists say the process is extraordinarily secure.
But even because the process helps many shed glasses and phone lenses, research level to a spread of negative effects, together with dry eyes and visible aberrations.
• We have an in-depth report on Lasik’s risks.
• A style maker, actually
We profiled Sarah Masoni, a taste designer in Portland, Ore., who’s behind a flood of new foods.
“She’s an evil genius,” one among her purchasers mentioned. “In a good way.”
• Best of late-night TV
Jimmy Kimmel weighed in on the compatibility of President Trump and Kim Jong-un.
• Quotation of the day
“I’ve never thought of closing the ports, not even when 26 ships arrived with 13,500 migrants within 36 hours.”
Marco Minniti, a former inside minister of Italy, after his nation turned away a rescue boat carrying a whole lot of individuals.
• The Times, in different phrases
• What we’re studying
Mike Isaac, our expertise reporter, is on ebook depart. He recommends this piece in Vanity Fair: “Charlie Rose, testing the limits of his disgrace, has been floating the idea of returning to TV for a show based on the experiences of men taken down by the #MeToo movement. This article follows him as he tries to reclaim a derailed career.”
Kim Jong-un, the North Korean chief, traveled to Singapore to satisfy President Trump, however he could quickly host a pacesetter at house.
North Korean state media reported this month that President Bashar al-Assad of Syria might be the first head of state to visit Mr. Kim in Pyongyang.
The two states have an extended historical past, as do the Assad and Kim households. During the Arab-Israeli War of 1973, North Korea despatched pilots to again Syrian forces.
The North helped construct a museum about that war within the Syrian capital, that includes a picture of Kim Il-sung and Hafez al-Assad, grandfather and father to the present leaders, clasping arms. A mural of Hafez al-Assad surrounded by adoring crowds is similar to one of Kim Il-sung in Pyongyang.
North Korea helped Syria construct a nuclear reactor, though Israel destroyed it in 2007.
This yr, the U.N. mentioned that Pyongyang had despatched Syria supplies that could be used to create chemical weapons, and there’s hypothesis that North Korean soldiers are backing authorities forces in Syria’s lengthy civil battle.
The present of friendship has been derided by rights activists. “Repression doesn’t grow flowers,” one wrote.
Jennifer Jett wrote at the moment’s Back Story.
Correction: An earlier model of this briefing misstated the whole variety of feminine Democratic candidates for governor in Maine and Nevada. It is 5, not two.
Check out our full vary of free newsletters here.
What would you prefer to see right here? Contact us at [email protected].