(Want to get this briefing by electronic mail? Here’s the sign-up.)
Here’s what you could know:
A coming showdown in Florida
• In one of many largest upsets of the first season, Andrew Gillum defeated Gwen Graham on Tuesday to turn into the Democratic nominee for governor. Here’s our story about the elections in Florida, Arizona and Oklahoma.
Mr. Gillum, the mayor of Tallahassee and an outspoken progressive, can be Florida’s first black governor if he beats Representative Ron DeSantis, who received the Republican nomination, within the November election. Mr. DeSantis is an in depth ally of President Trump.
In Arizona, Representative Martha McSally received the first to switch one in every of Mr. Trump’s most outspoken Republican critics within the Senate, Jeff Flake. She defeated two right-wing candidates, together with the previous sheriff Joe Arpaio.
Clock is ticking for Canada
• Canadian officers have been scrambling to reach a compromise on Tuesday that will preserve the nation within the North American Free Trade Agreement, after the U.S. threatened to exclude it from a cope with Mexico.
The Trump administration mentioned it could search congressional approval to finish a revised model of the longstanding pact, with or with out Canada, by Friday.
Most economists conclude that an finish to Nafta wouldn’t in itself severely hurt Canada’s financial system, however they are saying 25 p.c car tariff that President Trump has threatened to impose can be disastrous.
• Canada sends about three-quarters of its exports to the U.S., so Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s bargaining hand is proscribed. Read extra about the deal’s potential effects on Canada.
The man who took on the pope
• The letter revealed over the weekend calling for the resignation of Pope Francis has uncovered deep ideological divisions within the Roman Catholic Church, with conservatives difficult Francis’ inclusive imaginative and prescient of a church much less centered on points like abortion and homosexuality.
The letter’s writer, Archbishop Carlo Maria Viganò, was the papal ambassador to the U.S., the place he named staunchly conservative bishops in a number of cities. He discovered himself iced out after the election of Francis, and his critics say they assume private grudges are central to his motivation in writing the letter. Read more about the archbishop here.
• Separately, Cardinal Donald Wuerl, the archbishop of Washington, is facing growing calls for his removal after he was implicated within the intercourse abuse scandal enveloping the church.
China muscle groups into the Pacific
• The U.S. has operated nearly unchallenged within the Pacific Ocean since World War II, however a military modernization program by Beijing has shifted the balance of power in ways in which America and its allies are solely starting to digest.
The Chinese Navy turned the world’s largest final yr, and though the U.S. fleet stays superior in high quality, it’s unfold a lot thinner.
Beijing has mentioned the buildup is to guard rising pursuits past its coastal waters.
• “The Chinese are going to be more present,” one analyst mentioned, “and everyone has to get used to it.”
A grim revision for Puerto Rico
• The official demise toll on the island within the aftermath of Hurricane Maria final yr was sharply increased on Tuesday to 2,975, from 64.
The revision — the primary in practically a yr — got here hours after a brand new evaluation discovered that three,000 extra deaths than would usually have been anticipated occurred within the wake of the storm. The research was carried out on the authorities’s request.
• By comparability, Hurricane Katrina, which struck the Gulf Coast in 2005, is assumed to have killed from 1,000 to greater than 1,800.
• Conflicted about faculty soccer
The Times is relaunching The Edit, a e-newsletter for faculty college students and up to date graduates. Our first piece is by a student at the University of Oklahoma who wonders, given the issues surrounding the game, if it’s nonetheless acceptable to help his group.
• The tastes of fall, previewed
We’ve compiled a guide to the season’s most intriguing meals, eating places and other people in New York.
• No late-night TV this week
Most of the comedy hosts are taking a break, so our roundup is, too.
• Quotation of the day
“I never got to meet her, I never got to tell her that I love her. But I’ll be damned if I ain’t gonna say goodbye to her. She saved my life.”
— Rhonda Jefferson, who mentioned Aretha Franklin’s music impressed her to go away an abusive relationship. Ms. Jefferson was one in every of hundreds who paid their respects on Tuesday as Ms. Franklin lay in state in Detroit.
• The Times, in different phrases
• What we’re studying
Cecilia Kang, our Washington-based tech reporter, recommends this essay in TechCrunch: “Senator Ron Wyden wrote Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, credited with protecting internet companies from liability. It’s hard to imagine the staggering growth of social media without it. But here, Mr. Wyden warns that social media platforms’ own failures ‘are making it increasingly difficult for me to protect Section 230 in Congress.’ ”
It’s arguably the world’s most well-known sidewalk.
Since 1960, the Hollywood Walk of Fame has welcomed tourists to stroll over brass stars representing their favourite celebrities. Today, there are greater than 2,600 stars alongside Hollywood Boulevard and Vine Street.
The Walk of Fame was created by a gaggle of enterprise leaders as a part of a beautification project. The web site would “maintain the glory of a community whose name means glamour and excitement in the four corners of the world.”
One design proposal included a caricature of the honoree, however that was nixed in favor of bronze stars inlaid in black-and-pink terrazzo.
About 500 stars on the stroll are left clean for future honorees. The 2019 class includes Alvin and the Chipmunks, Julia Child, Robert De Niro and Dolly Parton.
Remy Tumin wrote at present’s Back Story.
Check out our full vary of free newsletters here.
What would you prefer to see right here? Contact us at [email protected].