Manduzic believes that Knudsen of Denmark pulled him down within the field. There was an arm over the shoulder, however was it a penalty? The ref says no. The ref is Mr. Pitana of Argentina.
20’: Things Slowing Down
The incident-per-minute charge of this sport, after threatening to interrupt data within the first 4 minutes, is slipping right down to extra regular ranges now.
18’: Croatia Attacking
More probing assaults from Croatia. Denmark is enjoying a extra defensive fashion.
13’: Corner to Croatia
A nook to Croatia follows. Modric takes, and that’s cleared too.
11’: Croatia Settling In
Both groups a bit surprised by the fast hearth objectives, however Croatia is beginning to take command of the ball. Here’s a free kick from simply outdoors the field …. Headed clear.
Four’: GOAL CROATIA!!! Tied 1-1
Madness in Nizhny Novgorod! Dalsgaard had a easy clearance, however he spanked it proper into the pinnacle of his teammate Christensen. It caromed again to Croatia, and Mandzukic accepted the reward and scored. It’s 1-1. What subsequent?
2’: GOAL Denmark!
What occurred? A little bit of head tennis at midfield led to a throw-in for Denmark. Knudsen made an enormous one, touchdown it within the field, the place Croatia was in disarray. Delaney acquired a contact, inched it to Jorgensen, and he shot; it bounced off a few Croatian gamers, together with the keeper, and went in! Bizarre, however it counts!
Denmark in white, Croatia in black. We acquired a sizzling one in Nizhny Novgorod tonight. It’s over 80 even this deep into the Russian night.
Croatia Rested and Ready
Croatia had already certified for this spherical when it performed its third group sport in opposition to Iceland, so it rested greater than half its starters. They’re all again at the moment, which ought to be scary even for Denmark’s tight protection.
Croatia Not as Loveable as Other Teams
Croatia doesn’t match the “loveable underdog” tag of groups like Iceland, partially as a result of it performs somewhat soiled. Croatia has eight yellow playing cards, essentially the most of any staff left within the match. It has 55 fouls: That ranks second, however solely simply behind France, which has performed yet another sport.
From Underdog to Contender
Nobody’s speaking about Croatia as a plucky underdog anymore; it’s now thought of a severe contender to win the World Cup. Aside from Uruguay’s two early wins, no small nation has ever lifted the trophy. But Croatia appears like the true deal up to now, with a crack protection, group and several other attacking weapons. Right now it’s the fourth favourite at 6-1 to win the Cup, after Brazil, France and England, And its odds will shorten with a win at the moment.
Spain’s Elimination May Clear Path for Winner
The results of at the moment’s first sport makes this sport all of the extra essential. Instead of going through mighty Spain, the winner will get Russia, a staff that has ridden dwelling subject benefit and various fortunate breaks. Surely the winner right here will fancy a visit to the semifinals: It can be Denmark’s first ever and Croatia’s second, after 1998.
Two Good Defenses, One Good Offense
Denmark and Croatia each have sturdy defenses; they’ve up to now surrendered just one objective every. But Croatia’s offense is rather more prolific, with seven objectives to 2 for Denmark. Croatia has taken 39 photographs; Denmark has taken 25, forward solely of Panama and Iran.
Denmark’s Starting Lineup
Goalkeeper: 1 Kasper Schmeichel (Leicester)
Defenders: Four Simon Kjaer (Sevilla); 13 Mathias Jorgensen (Huddersfield); 6 Andreas Christensen (Chelsea); 14 Henrik Dalsgaard (Brentford); 5 Jonas Knudsen (Ipswich)
Midfielders: 10 Christian Eriksen (Tottenham); eight Thomas Delaney (Werder Bremen)
Forwards: 21 Andreas Cornelius (Atalanta); 11 Martin Braithwaite (Middlesbrough); 20 Yussuf Poulsen (RB Leipzig)
With 14 saves, Schemichel ranks second on the Cup behind Guillermo Ochoa of Mexico.
Croatia’s Starting Lineup
Goalkeeper: 23 Danijel Subasic (Monaco)
Defenders: 21 Domagoj Vida (Besiktas); Three Ivan Strinic (Milan); 6 Dejan Lovren (Liverpool); 2 Sime Vrsaljko (Atletico Madrid)
Midfielders: 10 Luka Modric (Real Madrid); 7 Ivan Rakitic (Barcelona); 11 Marcelo Brozovic (Inter Milan)
Forwards: 17 Mario Mandzukic; (Juventus); Four Ivan Perisic (Inter Milan); 18 Ante Rebic (Fiorentina)
Croatia Will Lean on Modric
Croatia’s high scorer with two objectives is its 5-foot-6-inch star, Luka Modric. At 32, he’s on the peak of a profession that has taken him to stardom at Spurs and Real Madrid. He can be Croatia’s high passer, and the staff rises and falls on his efficiency.
Denmark vs. Croatia Top Story Lines
• Croatia has superior to the knockout stage of the World Cup for the second time in its historical past. The final time was in 1998, when Davor Suker and firm beat Germany on the best way to the semifinals. This is Denmark’s first go to to the final 16 since 2002.
• Croatia has impressed with a Three-Zero begin to the Cup in a tough group, beating Nigeria, Argentina and Iceland.
• With eight yellow playing cards, Croatia has essentially the most of any staff remaining within the match. It has dedicated 55 fouls, second of the remaining groups, three behind France, which has performed yet another sport.
• One of Denmark’s objective scorers is its chief, Christian Eriksen. Modric informed reporters, “What I can say about Eriksen is, he’s a fantastic player, a world-class player. He’s the most important player for Denmark.” The different scorer, Yussuf Poulsen, returns for this sport from a yellow card suspension.
• These groups haven’t met in a aggressive match because the qualifying for the 1998 World Cup. Denmark gained theat sport, with Peter Schemichel, father of present keeper Kasper Schmeichel, in objective.
• Croatia is a snug favourite to win, with Denmark Four-1 or so.
Some Pregame Reading
• What occurred? Both Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo were eliminated on Saturday.