(Want to get this briefing by e mail? Here’s the sign-up.)
Here’s what it’s worthwhile to know:
Mourning a maverick
• Senator John McCain will lie in state this week within the Arizona State Capitol and later within the U.S. Capitol, as a part of almost every week of companies in his honor.
There might be a memorial service for Mr. McCain, who died on Saturday on the age of 81, on the Washington National Cathedral. He might be buried in Annapolis, Md., the place he graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1958. Read our obituary, in addition to the plans for his funeral, that are nonetheless being finalized.
On Sunday, leaders of each political events and international dignitaries praised Mr. McCain, a former prisoner of warfare in Vietnam who represented Arizona in Congress for many years. A Republican, he was recognized for defying his social gathering’s leaders, together with President Trump, who was notably absent from the tributes.
• Gov. Doug Ducey of Arizona stated that he wouldn’t appoint a substitute for Mr. McCain till after the senator was laid to relaxation. The choice has enormous implications.
A bombshell within the Catholic Church
• The former high Vatican diplomat within the U.S. has called for Pope Francis to resign, accusing him of serving to the Roman Catholic Church cowl up clerical sexual abuse.
The extraordinary and unsubstantiated accusation by Carlo Maria Viganò, a staunch critic of the pope, got here in a 7,000-word letter that was printed throughout Francis’ go to to Ireland. Read our coverage of the trip here.
• Archbishop Viganò claimed that the pope knew about abuses by Cardinal Theodore McCarrick years earlier than they grew to become public. Francis stated on Sunday that he wouldn’t dignify journalists’ questions with a response.
Juuls and youngsters
• The digital cigarette maker’s unique advertising technique featured video clips of hip younger folks posing flirtatiously with the gadgets.
Although the technique wasn’t particularly geared toward youngsters, images of and by younger folks vaping Juuls shortly popped up on social media. (Federal legislation prohibits gross sales of e-cigarettes to anybody below 18.)
Juuls’s gross sales campaigns are now at the heart of a federal investigation into whether or not the corporate deliberately marketed its gadgets to youth.
• Most nations, together with the U.S., have banned advertising tobacco to minors. The business has latched onto the selfie generation’s screens to skirt these guidelines.
A Stormy Daniels timeline
• As a part of final week’s landslide of stories about responsible pleas, immunity offers and felony convictions, President Trump’s former private lawyer, Michael Cohen, stated in court docket that Mr. Trump had directed him to pay a pornographic movie star $130,000 in trade for preserving quiet a few sexual relationship.
Mr. Trump’s statements concerning the association with Stephanie Clifford, whose display title is Stormy Daniels, have developed over time.
• We’ve compiled what is understood — and isn’t — about Mr. Trump’s take care of Ms. Clifford. Read it here.
Calls for genocide prices in Myanmar
• The nation’s high navy officers ought to face trial in a world court docket for genocide in opposition to Rohingya Muslims and for crimes in opposition to humanity concentrating on different ethnic minorities, a U.N. panel said today after a yearlong investigation.
• Job Corps started in 1964 to organize impoverished younger folks for the work power, and has grown right into a program with a $1.7 billion annual funds. Study after research has questioned its effectiveness.
• Russia is unveiling a floating nuclear power plant that proponents say may very well be cheaper, safer and a weapon in opposition to local weather change. It additionally has its skeptics.
• Three weeks after Elon Musk advised that he wished to take Tesla personal, he introduced that the electric-car maker would stay public. People near the occasions told us what was behind the decision.
• “Crazy Rich Asians” topped the North American box office for the second weekend in a row, incomes about $25 million.
• In memoriam
Neil Simon, the playwright whose title was synonymous with business success on Broadway for many years, helped redefine in style American humor. He was 91.
He began out writing for TV and later for the films, however his performs had been his biggest successes, together with “The Odd Couple” and “Barefoot in the Park.” Read an appraisal by one of our theater critics.
• Tennis, anybody?
The U.S. Open begins in the present day. In addition to the standard stars, listed below are some players to watch.
We additionally take you on a tour of the tournament site in Flushing Meadows, the not too long ago overhauled U.S.T.A. Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.
• Quotation of the day
“The lions are gone. The lions of the Senate are gone. It is very sad.”
— Senator Susan Collins, Republican of Maine, on Senator John McCain, who died 9 years to the day after Senator Edward Kennedy.
• The Times, in different phrases
• What we’re studying
Kevin McKenna, our deputy enterprise editor, recommends this profile in New York Magazine: “David Hogg has become (along with his classmate Emma González) a prominent public face of post-Parkland youth activism on gun safety — and this cover story looks at how he’s ‘taking his gap year at the barricades.’ He hasn’t made plans for college (he’s dyslexic and doesn’t test well), but he does know this: He wants to run for Congress as soon as he’s 25.”
Tourism officers in Vilnius, the capital of Lithuania, have adopted a sexually suggestive new advertising slogan that describes the town because the “G-spot of Europe”: “Nobody knows where it is, but when you find it — it’s amazing.”
The new slogan comes a month earlier than Pope Francis begins a tour of Lithuania and different Baltic nations. Lithuanian clergymen criticized the ad campaign for utilizing “women’s sexuality for advertising” and giving the “wrong ideas” about Vilnius as a intercourse tourism vacation spot. The comic John Oliver chimed in, too.
The information acquired us eager about different tourism slogans around the world.
There are blanket invites, like “Reveal Your Own Russia” and, within the U.S., “All Within Your Reach.”
Some make daring claims: “There’s Nothing Like Australia.”
Some nations go for alliteration: “Beautiful Bangladesh,” “Brilliant Barbados.”
There’s the straight-to-the-point strategy: “Travel in Slovakia — Good Idea” and “Visit Armenia, It Is Beautiful.”
Life is “Best Enjoyed Slowly” in Latvia. “You’re Invited” to Iran.
Sometimes, the citizenry comes up with its personal strategy. In economically troubled Greece, the official line, “All Time Classic,” clearly left at the least one particular person dissatisfied.
An indication in Athens reads: “Welcome to Greece, The Land of Opportunity. Taxes, Taxes and More Taxes.”
Remy Tumin wrote in the present day’s Back Story.
Check out our full vary of free newsletters here.
What would you wish to see right here? Contact us at [email protected].
An earlier model of this briefing misstated the yr that John McCain graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy. It was 1958, not 1954.