6 Good Magic 9-1
Melissa Hoppert on Good Magic: “The Breeders’ Cup Juvenile winner has been working lights out here, which has his normally stoic trainer smiling from ear to ear. Hopefully at a nice price, that’s good enough magic for me.”
7 Justify Three-1
Melissa Hoppert on Justify: “The favorite has won the past five Derbys, but the Santa Anita Derby winner has Apollo’s curse looming over him. Then again, as has been overheard many times this week, he could just be a freak.”
8 Lone Sailor 24-1
9 Hofburg 27-1
10 My Boy Jack 6-1
11 Bolt d’Oro Eight-1
Joe Drape on Bolt d’Oro: “He is fast, seasoned and has never run a bad race. He is sitting on a big one. Oh yeah, jockey Victor Espinoza has won this race three times. Here’s your winner.”
12 Enticed 52-1
13 Bravazo 67-1
14 Mendelssohn 6-1
Melissa Hoppert on Mendelssohn: “He absolutely romped in the U.A.E. Derby, winning by 18 1/2 lengths and setting a track record, in his first start on dirt no less. He has a world-class trainer and jockey, but he just arrived Monday, and the overseas trip will surely take a toll.”
15 Instilled Regard 87-1
16 Magnum Moon 13-1
Melissa Hoppert on Magnum Moon: “Undefeated in four starts, he’s definitely dangerous, but I’m not crazy about him drifting wide in the stretch in the Arkansas Derby and, you know, the Apollo Curse.”
17 Solomini 65-1
18 Vino Rosso 13-1
Melissa Hoppert on Vino Rosso: “He seems to be peaking at the right time, and I do put stock in last year’s Derby-winning jockey picking him over Audible. But that was also before he drew this post.”
19 Noble Indy 66-1
20 Combatant 71-1
Yoshida Takes Turf Classic
Yoshida gained the $500,000 Turf Classic, the 11th race on the Derby undercard. The Japanese horse is owned by the identical group that owns the Derby entrants Justify and Audible — WinStar Farm, Head of Plains Partners and the China Horse Club. WinStar, who gained its first Derby when Super Saver romped within the slop in 2010, owns the vast majority of the horses. He paid $21.80 on a $2 wager to win.
The group displays the rise of partnerships throughout the business, even among the many sport’s strongest, to cut back threat by pooling capital and shopping for into confirmed horses. Nine of the 20 Derby horses had been owned by partnerships, together with eight of the highest 10 horses within the level standings.
Members of the China Horse Club, the unique and secretive group who has turn out to be a significant international participant within the sport in simply 5 years, didn’t look like well-represented within the winner’s circle.
Monomoy Girl Wins Kentucky Oaks. A Sign of Things to Come?
Monomoy Girl, educated by Bradley Cox, who grew up a number of blocks from Churchill Downs, and ridden by Florent Geroux, dug in to win the $1 million Kentucky Oaks by a half-length on Saturday at Churchill Downs for Momomoy Stables.
Monomoy is run by the hedge fund govt Sol Kumin and is a co-owner of the Derby entrant My Boy Jack. Kumin has a number of profitable partnerships, nonetheless, together with Head of Plains Partners, a co-owner of the popular Derby picks Justify and Audible.
Winning the Derby is all the time excessive on horse homeowners’ bucket lists, however Kumin stated this week that, for him, successful the Oaks was larger. After the race, he didn’t change his thoughts.
“This feels about as good as it gets,” he stated. “This is Kentucky Oaks Day, the biggest race. Winning it with all your friends, with a trainer you love, with a jockey you love, with a person picking out the horse that you love.”
Here Are the Top Story Lines for the Kentucky Derby
• Todd Pletcher has 4 Derby entrants — Audible, Magnum Moon, Vino Rosso and Noble Indy — the sixth time he has had 4 or extra working in a single Derby. When the gate opens, he’ll overtake D. Wayne Lukas, with whom he was tied at 48 for probably the most Derby starters.
• Some horses with a built-in rooting curiosity embrace Lone Sailor, who’s owned by Gayle Benson, the spouse of the New Orleans Saints proprietor Tom Benson, who died on March 15, and Vino Rosso, who’s co-owned by Vincent Viola, the proprietor of the N.H.L.’s Florida Panthers and final yr’s Derby winner Always Dreaming.
• The document for quickest run on the Kentucky Derby is 1 minute, 59 2/5 seconds by Secretariat in 1973, a time that gained’t probably be beat right this moment.
• Magnum Moon is undefeated in 4 begins in 2018 and Justify, the morning-line favorite who’s educated by the Triple Crown-winning Bob Baffert, is undefeated in three begins this yr. But no horse has gained the Derby after not beginning as a 2-year-old since Apollo in 1882.
• Mendelssohn gained the U.A.E. Derby, his first race on grime, by 18 half of lengths, setting a observe document at Meydan Racecourse in Dubai. He is a well-liked choose to turn out to be the primary U.A.E. Derby winner to odor the roses.
A Sloppy Track
A light-weight drizzle become a gentle rain by the afternoon hours at Churchill Downs, the place it’s about 65 levels. After the sixth race, the principle observe was sealed, or packed, to permit water to run off and the situation was modified to muddy.
The regular rain progressed right into a downpour, and the observe has been downgraded to sloppy.
The Derby entrants to have gained on a moist grime observe embrace Firenze Fire, Flameaway (twice), Justify, Lone Sailor, My Boy Jack and Enticed. By midafternoon, My Boy Jack, who was 30-1 on the morning line, was at 5-1. Surely a few of that has to do along with his title. But his document on a moist observe and his capacity to return from again within the pack to win has probably has some bettors enthused.