(Want to get this briefing by electronic mail? Here’s the sign-up.)
Good morning. Countdown to a commerce struggle, negotiations in North Korea and preventing darkness in Hong Kong. Here’s what you have to know:
The dispute is anticipated to ripple by means of international provide chains. Global inventory markets have been unstable in anticipation of a commerce combat between the U.S. and virtually everybody else.
• “Fire and fury” no extra.
When North Korea carried out missile checks and detonated atomic bombs final yr, President Trump responded with threats and ordered the navy to provide you with pre-emptive strike choices.
But since his summit assembly final month with the North’s chief, Kim Jong-un, Mr. Trump has done an about-face — although Pyongyang’s weapon applications have continued.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo was on his technique to North Korea on Thursday, with the problem of negotiating a greater nuclear deal than the one reached with Iran, which Mr. Trump has referred to as a “disaster.”
• “Have you no shame, sir?”
That was Zeid Ra’advert al-Hussein, the U.N. excessive commissioner for human rights, in a heated trade with a diplomat from Myanmar over the 700,000 Rohingya who have fled to Bangladesh and are caught in overcrowded camps. Above, the Kutupalong camp.
When the diplomat instructed the U.N. Human Rights Council that his nation was “committed to the defense of human rights,” it was an excessive amount of for Mr. Hussein.
That declare, he saidd, “almost creates its own level of preposterousness.”
• Update: Thailand’s cave rescue.
The third straight day of higher climate raised hypothesis that rescuers would possibly attempt to shortly evacuate the 12 younger boys and their soccer coach trapped within the huge and monsoon-flooded Tham Luang Cave community since June 23.
Several components weighed in opposition to such a call. “If it rains and the water volume increases, we have to calculate, how much time do we have? a Thai official said. “How many hours, how many days?”
• Meet the “Darkness Fighters” of Hong Kong.
Our correspondents went together with a dragon boat team composed of visually impaired paddlers as they ready for Hong Kong’s annual Dragon Boat Festival, a centuries-old custom all through Asia that mixes sacred rituals with severe competitors.
“This is the Darkness Fighters’ mantra,” the group shouted earlier than fastidiously entering into the boat. “Challenge the impossible!”
• Scott Pruitt, the top of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, resigned after months of allegations over authorized and moral violations. President Trump introduced the resignation in a tweet during which he thanked Mr. Pruitt for an “outstanding job.” [The New York Times]
• Australia will permit a younger woman to go away Nauru, the offshore refugee detention middle, to hunt psychological well being care. But others aren’t getting the assistance they want, advocates say. [The New York Times]
• Poisonings and strained relations. Four months after a Russian ex-spy and his daughter have been left critically ailing in an England city, two Britons have been sickened by the identical toxin. Here’s how the case has unfolded. [The New York Times]
• In India, a lady working at a charity based by Mother Teresa in 1950 was arrested on suspicion of promoting a 14-day-old child. The police are wanting into different attainable circumstances. [BBC]
• Kim Dotcom, the web mogul recognized for his lavish life-style in New Zealand, misplaced one other bid to keep away from extradition to the U.S. on prices of copyright infringement and cash laundering. [The New York Times]
• Many Asian-Americans in New York City really feel snubbed by Mayor Bill de Blasio’s plan to vary admissions to town’s elite excessive colleges, the place they dominate. [The New York Times]
• Wimbledon’s “Mrs. Williams.” Serena Williams, who married within the fall, now shares a courtesy title with different champions, together with Mrs. L.W. King, Mrs. J.M. Lloyd and Mrs. R. Cawley (higher often called Billie Jean King, Chris Evert and Evonne Goolagong). [The New York Times]
Tips for a extra fulfilling life.
• How to maintain up with the World Cup if you can’t watch it live.
• Clean these pesky summer stains.
• Recipe of the day: Finish the week sturdy with a plan to make peach raspberry pie.
• “The Art of War,” animated. C.C. Tsai, a Chinese artist and illustrator of Sunzi’s traditional treatise on warfare and technique, spoke with The Times about his personal time within the navy and what readers usually misunderstand about “The Art of War.”
• Gerry Ryan turned considered one of Australia’s richest individuals by making RVs. Now he’s betting big on musicals: His Sydney-based firm is producing its first 4. On three continents. At the identical time. (One is “King Kong” on Broadway.)
• A brand new place for Ichiro Suzuki. The Seattle Mariners have shifted the Japanese star right into a front-office advisory position that appears unprecedented within the fashionable recreation — uniformed guide, mentor, baseball professor and cheerleader.
The boys’ soccer group trapped in Thailand has prompted a sprawling rescue effort and riveted the world’s attention.
But the trouble is simply the newest chapter in the annals of cave rescues.
The sport of caving was first developed within the late 19th century, and its reputation grew partly because of explorations by Édouard-Alfred Martel, a caving pioneer from France. The first caving golf equipment have been shaped in England within the 1920s and ’30s.
Comprehensive knowledge on worldwide cave rescues since then is scarce. But one research discovered that between 1980 and 2008, there have been 1,356 documented cases of “cavers requiring rescue” within the U.S.
And the Cave Rescue Organisation, the oldest cave-rescue group in Britain, says it has responded to 2,927 incidents since its founding in 1935. Of these, 745 have been in caves; the remaining have been on mountains and in disused mines and different places.
The all-volunteer group says the incidents concerned four,193 individuals and lots of of animals, together with 252 lambs, 226 sheep, 79 canines, 9 cows, 9 geese, one rabbit and one cat.
Mike Ives wrote at the moment’s Back Story.
Your Morning Briefing is revealed weekday mornings and up to date on-line. Sign up here to get it by electronic mail within the Australian, Asian, European or American morning. You may also obtain an Evening Briefing on U.S. weeknights.